The Cuyahoga County Headquarters located in downtown Cleveland were looking for a green roof for an employee retreat. Complete with rooftop pavers, benches and pergola, the employees can relax in a park like setting. Landscape lighting adds more time to enjoy the space. Many sedum varieties will thrive and provide durable beauty. Green roofs are quickly catching on throughout the country because of the improved building efficiency. Some of the advantages are as follows:
- Absorb CO2 and help lower the urban heat island effect and ozone levels with living, breathing plants through the natural processes of photosynthesis & evapotranspiration.
- Reduce ambient air temperatures. Hot summer impermeable city roofs can reach 175°F or more!
- Absorb and filter heavy metals & pollutants from our rainwater, such as cadmium, copper, lead, nitrogen, zinc, diesel soot, VOC’s, hydrocarbons and pesticides.
- Reduce runoff flow rates & retain 50 -95% of rainwater. Alleviate storm water infrastructure systems & reduce combined sewer overflows.
- Supply green habitat and nesting areas for displaced birds, butterflies and other wildlife.
- Provide acoustical insulation & reduce noise by 50 dB with plants and soil